On the outset, let me say that I have the utmost respect for David Carradine, and that my use of “Kung Fu” is in no way meant as a slight to the man or his memory.
So here it goes.
I have nothing more than a layman’s understanding of the Many-Worlds Interpretation of quantum physics, which may in fact be a boon for this thought exercise.
The basic idea I have is this:
1) Every decision made creates a parallel universe.
2) David Carradine was chosen to play Kwai Chang Caine, but Bruce Lee was considered.
3) There exists a parallel universe wherein Bruce Lee plays Kwai Chang Caine.
4) While a building a machine that can transmit solid matter from one parallel universe to another is nearly impossible, the laws of quantum physics may be more charitable with a device that could receive a television signal from such a place. (This is a complete guess on my part, or a lie. Any physicists out there can offer advice and/or ridicule.)
5) With the right “tuner,” you could receive a broadcast of the Bruce Lee version of Kung Fu.
If such a technology were to exist, there would be several other things that might be found:
1) Popular Network TV Shows from universes where foul language and nudity are encouraged. (Also known as “The R-Rated Friends” phenomenon.)
2) Same as #1, but with porn. (Obvious.)
3) Universes where famous writers pen episodes of shows one would never expect. (Chuck Palahniuk’s “Dawson’s Creek” episode – Disappointing.) It should be noted that the Jerry Stahl “Alf” episodes are one of OUR universe’s major export.
4) Their commercials would be hilarious.
Of course, copyright laws would need a major overhaul. Does carpenter Harrison Ford get royalties from bootleg DVDs of the edited-for-television version of Indiana Jones in the universe where the role went to Tom Selleck? Who owns the property of a non-existent production company? The college friends who *would* have formed it if they had ever gotten off their asses in our universe?
Of course there would also be a completely new industry of fake parallel universe TV Shows created in our world with lookalikes.
Hmmmm…I think I’ve just pitched a show idea of my own.
What would YOU look for?